International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition

International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition


International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition
International Journal of Food Science and Nutrition
Vol. 5, Issue 4 (2020)

Effect of maturity and ripening chemical treatment in post-harvest physiology of tomato


Ashfak Ahmed Sabuz, Md Hafizul Haque Khan, Mohammad Mainuddin Molla, Rahmatuzzaman Rana, Raju Ahmmed

A study was carried out to compare the effect of maturity stage and ripening chemical treatment on physico-chemical changes during post-harvest ripening and processing of tomatoes. For this purpose chemically treated and untreated tomato fruits were harvested at different maturity stage (Mature green, Breaker, Pink) and changes in different physico-chemical properties (i.e. weight loss, TSS, pH, sugar content, vitamin C content, titratable acidity) were studied at 0, 3, 6, 9 days of storage under ambient conditions. Study revealed that highest cumulative weight loss (10.25%), moisture content (94.81%), pH (4.41), and TSS/titratable acidity(16.66) were obtained from the fruits of mature green stage, while the fruits of pink stage had the highest dry matter content (13.18%), TSS(6.05 0B), titratable acidity (0.445%), reducing sugar (3.97%), non-reducing sugar(1.25%), total sugar (5.21%), and vitamin C content (25.60 mg/100gm). Increase in dry matter content (from 5.22% to 11.64%), TSS (from 5.16 to 5.60), titratable acidity (from 0.308% to 0.418%), reducing sugar (from 2.28% to 3.48%) were observed during storage. A decreasing trend in moisture content (from 94.80% to 88.50%), pH (from 4.58 to 4.25), TSS/titratable acidity (from 15.54 to 13.56) and vitamin C content (from 17.94mg/100g to 13.68 mg/100 g) was observed during storage. Untreated tomato (5.33) had higher TSS than treated (5.23) one. Reducing sugar was higher in untreated tomato (2.49%) than that of treated tomato (2.36%). Non-reducing sugar content was higher in untreated (0.901%) than treated tomato (0.886%). Vitamin C content was higher in untreated (17.94 mg/100g) tomato than the treated tomatoes (17.73mg/100g). Moisture content was higher in untreated tomatoes (94.09%) than that of treated tomatoes (93.96%) and dry matter content of untreated tomatoes (6.01%) was higher than that of treated tomatoes (5.84%).The study suggested that tomato fruits harvested at breaker stage may be suitable for fresh consumption and for long distance transportation.
Pages : 36-42 | 341 Views | 100 Downloads